Monday, September 28, 2009

they say....as a parent

you are only as happy
as your unhappiest child?
what if you only have one?
what if she has chosen a life that doesn't
include happiness for now?
can you yourself choose happiness?
I never thought so
I thought I had to lay in the muck with her.
I believe now
I believe
with out the sense of entitlement so many of
our kids possess
I did not choose her
path
I did not shove her down it
I did not condone her
actions...
I can be happy for me
and still pray and grieve for her.
I can love her deeply
and not love her
life style.
I can grow
spiritually
I can smile when
she is crying
I can laugh when she is angry
and I can listen with empathy, compassion
and love
without
altering my chosen path
I now strive to do my personal best
even if at this time she is unable
to do hers.
xo
WHO ARE "THEY" ANYWAY?

1 comment:

  1. I am not a parent, my daughter Anna Marie was born premature and died at birth. But when I thought of being a parent, I thought of all the special happy moments to come - First word, first steps, first day of school, etc. I'm sure you experienced all of those and more. It has to be so hard to see the path that your little angel has chosen, I wish you the best as you strive to be happy for you - as you worry about her.

    ReplyDelete